2012 & what I'm grateful for

This post is to highlight what I'm grateful for in twenty twelve.

Above all, I'm grateful for my family and the time I've spent with them this year.  In recent years I've been involved in a few things and found myself too stretched.  This year I re-adjusted and am better for it.

I remember some years ago a parent of adults telling me that all ages were enjoyable for raising children.  As she told me I remember the pleased expression on her face as if all her memories of this time flashed before her.  In other conversations I hear of the difficult transition one faces when they raise children and then they leave home.  As my children get older I appreciate this, and as my own work through the 'middle' childhood age I anticipate the final stages of childhood before them.  I am grateful for being able to spend more time with them and my wonderful wife, Anita.

Photo courtesy of Justin Brierty and the Centralian Advocate
This year I was admitted to the roll of legal practitioners in the Northern Territory.  A few years back I decided to pursue law because, having studied it when I was younger and ventured into other things, I decided I enjoy it and want to dedicate myself more fully.  I gained invaluable experience working with the talented and dedicated team at the Central Australian Aboriginal Legal Aid Services.  My year in the role has been very fulfilling and I've enjoyed immensely the challenges and growth.  I am grateful for the opportunities in the profession and the chance to work alongside great people.   I also look forward to contributing to law in future years and diversifying my knowledge base.

A tool I've found incredibly useful for my children is the Khan Academy.  The program has improved its profile and systems and in my direct experience this has made it more appealing and attractive for my children.  The consistency of their work over time has been patchy but I am grateful for the usefulness and versatility of the program.  Generally, I have great confidence in youth development when such tools are accessible and consistently used.  I'm grateful for the genius and dedication of Sal Khan and look forward to reading his book in twenty thirteen.




I'm grateful, of course, for my iPhone and the various technologies in our house.  Digital access to a rental movie library takes away the tasks of returning to video stores.  Integrated google applications links all my devices and I've built a useful list of bookmarks.  The xbox and my son's games (particularly basketball) continues to amaze me with the depth, quality, versatility and game-ability of a highly addictive game.  The podcast application is incredible and I've listened to countless hours of interesting audio's from across the world.  I'm grateful for continuing advances in technology and am optimistic as to the future and how these transformations may in turn transform our vulnerable economies (e.g. see Krugman's piece in the NY Times here).

Finally, I'm grateful for is the chance to live in Alice Springs.  We've been here for about seven years but will be leaving soon.  The country  of this place is etched in my mind and in a positive light because of the time I spent at Uluru in my youth.  Over the years I've tried to contribute constructively to the forces that shape our governance.  In some ways I've been successful but in others I've seen and have been hit by the enormity of challenges.  Sadly, I also feel a sense of relief for letting some of this go.  The vitriol, laziness, reward for lack of effort and poisonous and pervasive motivations and actions that shape politics happens across the world, but I suspect it remains sharper and with stronger contrast in areas such as Central Australia.  I've seen and been up-close to some powerful and insightful experiences and  I feel let down by personal knowledge as to what it truly going on.  This happens in the corners and shadowy areas of governance.  None of it has been enlightening.  Despite this, I remain inspired by much of the good and the hope and dedication of many leaders and I will remember this going forward.  I am grateful for what is good about our society and the place and landscape that is Alice Springs and Central Australia.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seeking nature as self-care and as a marker for self-care planning

Marechal Rondon

Book Review - Barack Obama: the making of the man by David Maraniss